Monday, September 17, 2007

# 7 Blog about technology

“Library 2.0…it’s not primarily about machines and software: it’s about using the best tools and ideas to provide the best possible service to our users”


[A presentation by Marylaine Block
for the British Colombia Library Association , April 19, 2007
]



The Learning 2.0 program is all about teaching you how to use web 2.o tools, and some of these tools you may may find useful to help deliver services in the library.


For Exercise #7, simply blog about anything technology related.
Yes, it can be anything that relates to technology!
You just need to share a few thoughts.



Perhaps you might like to talk about 'Creating Content' , or a technology you now rely on to perform everyday tasks.
Try for at least 100-150 words.



We have all come along way using technology in a very short time. Can you remember learning to use a computer and a mouse (!!!), and having to send an email instead of faxing a memo?
Imagine now having to cope without these technologies

3 comments:

Liz Chandler said...

Is anyone else frustrated? This exercise is proving to me that I'm ageing! I dont' find the instructions to be straightforward and don't have time in my short working week to 'play' enough to become familiar.
Wanna know what I really think? (here's my take on flicker & blogging).
At one stage in my life, I lived with a stalker - unpleasant, to say the least. You can imagine how uncomfortable I am with the concept of posting photos I've taken on the web. The idea of marking the exact location on a map truly scares me! I know that, with Flickr I can specify who can view the picture but HONESTLY! if I wanted to share photos, I'd just email them to the people who I want to see them.
(To truly age myself, I'll let you know that I don't own a digital camera - I don't like the clarity of the images and can't afford a high-resolutoin camera)

I understand that "the younger generation" is very techno-minded and probably sees no problem with posting all this stuff on the 'net. Perhaps they should be! Forgive me for wanting knowledge of my life to be confined to those people I actually KNOW or want to know. I just don't think my 'stuff' needs to be 'out there'.
From what I've seen, most of the 'stuff' out there on the 'net is generated by the US. This whole 'Learning 2.0' is American. I have always questioned US 'cultural imperialism' - this is just the next generation.

OK - now I've spent 40 mins on this, I have to go WORK!

Does anyone else actually manage to spend just 15 per day on this?????

riverleigh said...

Hi Liz,
I can understand your frustration. I chose to do most of the program at home, not at work. I chose what to share, to keep to myself and what to spend time on. I chose when to be anonymous. And therein lies the great aspect of this- it is a self paced, self learning, choice. There are people out there who have no understanding of these tools, who do want to spend time on what is a global, not US, phenomenon. If you feel you cannot, or do not want to, do this program- I hope that it is not being forced upon you.
Regards
Leslie

Claire said...

These exercises are certainly taking a lot longer than 15 minutes and it is annoying to have to create and try to keep track of a number of different accounts.(Blogger,Google, Yahoo) Many people are undertaking the tasks at home in their own time as there is not enough time in the working day to complete them.It took me almost an hour to post a photo to my blog, and I don't think it is something I will want or need to utilise again